I tell most people that when hiring a personal injury lawyer you should look for five things:
1. They should have been handling exclusively personal injury cases for more than 10 years.
2. When I say exclusively I mean exclusively, they should not be handling multiple different types of legal work. They should be specialized and only handle personal injury work.
3. They should have malpractice coverage.
4. They should try your cases, meaning some personal injury lawyers only settle cases that don’t go into the court system and they do not try cases in front of juries. Insurance companies know this, they tend to pay less for them. Your lawyer should be a litigator.
5. You should look up their ratings online. There are certain websites like lawyers.com, martindale.com and avvo.com that will tell you what they’re rated by other lawyers. And then you can always go to the Florida Bar website or to your state bar association and make sure that they don’t have any type of discipline against them.
Here at Willis Law, we’ve been practicing law for 27 years. We only do personal injury work. I litigate my cases, I try cases throughout the state and we have a perfect record with the Florida Bar Association. Please contact us at any time at 561-599-7300 or complete our contact form.